First of all, understand that the source of their snarks are based on:
- Jealousy and/or
It’s never about you, it’s always about the snarker’s shortcomings. My Mom always told me to pity snarky people as they don’t like themselves. Yes, that’s very true, but that doesn’t make them any easier to be around.
You can try reasoning with them but that rarely works as they’ll usually just play the blame game. Think about it, if you were miserable and jealous, would you want to admit that even to yourself?
Here are the steps I suggest:
- Avoid them as much as possible (that one’s obvious, haha).
- Be polite and businesslike, don’t tell them anything personal as they’ll use that for snark material.
- When they say something snarky, don’t be tempted to point it out or they’ll come back spitting acid.
- Silence is golden. Talk as little as possible around them as they don’t deserve you. Save the real you for all those wonderful people out there who are happy, fun and warm.
- Thank your lucky stars that you are not them.
Comments always welcome.